Your Eye Care Specialists
Founder and chief surgeon, John D. Olkowski, M.D., has been practicing in Hawaii for over 30 years. He established EyeSight Hawaii in 1999 so he could provide patients with the latest technology in LASIK, cataracts, dry eye and cornea surgery. In August of 2018, we established EyeSight Hawaii – Maui, where our Maui-based Ophthalmologist, Dr. Briana Gapsis, a glaucoma specialist, is providing the same great care to the people of Maui.
Education & Training
- Stanford University – Fellowship (corneal & external disease & refractive surgery)
- UCSF – Residency in Ophthalmology
- University of Hawaii – Internship
- UC Irvine – M.D. (Distinction in Research)
- Stanford University – B.A. Human Biology
Honors & Awards
- 2021 Castle Connolly Rising Stars
- 2019 – Best paper of session at American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- 2018 – Langer Award for highest cumulative OKAP score in residency over 3 years
- 2013 – Junior Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- 2012 – Pathology Chairs Honor Society Member
- 2010 – Joshua Lederberg Award for Academic Excellence at Stanford
- American Board of Ophthalmology – Board certified
- American Academy of Ophthalmology – 2015 to Present
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery – 2015 to Present
- Cornea Society – 2019 to Present
- Study Club for Ophthalmic Research in Hawaii (SCORH) – 2020 to Present
Dr. Olkowski is the founder and chief surgeon of EyeSight Hawaii. He is a fellowship-trained corneal surgery specialist practicing in Hawaii since 1990. He has performed thousands of laser vision correction surgeries, even on other LASIK surgeons. He is experienced in dry eye treatment, corneal, cataract and laser vision correction surgeries including LASIK, PRK and VisianICL surgery.
Education & Post-Doctoral Training
- Tufts-New England Medical Center, Boston, Mass – Fellowship (corneal surgery specialty)
- George Washington University, Washington, DC – Residency in Ophthalmology
- Georgetown University School of Medicine – M.D.
- Georgetown University – B.S.
- American Board of Ophthalmology – 1990
- Assistant Clinical Professor, University of Hawaii’s John A. Burns School of Medicine
- Medical Director and founder, EyeSight Hawaii
- Medical Director, Eye Surgery Center of Hawaii
- Associate Director, Hawaii Lions Eye Bank
- Study Club for Ophthalmic Research in Hawaii (SCORH)
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- International Society of Refractive Surgery
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Eye Bank Association of America
- Hawaii Ophthalmological Society
- Hawaii Medical Association
- The Cornea Society
Hawaii Optometrist, Dr. Michael Dash, is a local boy born and raised in Waipahu, Oahu and is a graduate of The Kamehameha Schools Kapalama campus. Dr. Dash joined EyeSight Hawaii in 2011.
Dr. Dash is a Native Hawaiian Health Scholar and a member of the Hawaii Optometric Association and American Optometric Association. He proudly volunteers his professional time providing eye care services to Native Hawaiian communities on Oahu and Maui.
- Pennsylvania College of Optometry – Doctorate in Optometry
- University of Portland – Bachelors, Life Science
- University of Portland – Psychology, minor