Dr. Monika Malecha is an ophthalmologist who diagnoses and treats medical and surgical eye conditions in patients of all ages. She performs cataract surgery (both standard and premium lens implants) on Maui. Dr. Malecha is the only full-time fellowship trained corneal specialist on the island. She performs pterygium surgery and some other corneal procedures on Maui.
Dr. Malecha has over 25 years of experience in ophthalmology and prior to joining Eyesight Hawaii on Maui in November of 2021, she was in a private ophthalmology practice in Portland, Oregon for 15 years. She is an author of 11 scientific articles in the field of ophthalmology published in peer reviewed journals.
Dr. Malecha is excited to be a part of the Eyesight Hawaii and strives to provide the best medical and surgical ophthalmology care to her patients. In her spare time, she enjoys reading, biking, paddling, and spending time with her family. She has joined an outrigger canoe club in Kihei which is a perfect way to enjoy the beauty of the island.
Education and Training:
- University of Minnesota, Minneapolis – Fellowship in Cornea, External Disease and Refractive Surgery
- University of Tennessee, Memphis – Residency in Ophthalmology
- Methodist Hospital, Memphis – Transitional Internship
- University of Tennessee, Memphis – Medical Doctor (graduated with highest honors)
- Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia — Post Bacalaureate PreMed Program
- Middle Tennessee State University – BBA (summa cum laude)
- The Portland Clinic, Portland, Oregon 2006-2021 – Ophthalmologist/Partner
- University of Missouri, Kansas City, Missouri 2004-2006 – Associate Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology
- University of Tennessee, Memphis, Tennessee 2000-2004 –Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology
- American Board of Ophthalmology –2000 (original certification), 2010 and 2020 board recertified
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
Honors and Awards
- Portland Best Doctor Award 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Physician Subspecialist Leadership Award 2012
- Roger Hiatt, MD Award for Resident Instruction and Academic Development 2002
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Student Honorary Society 1995